He will point out two dogs in a book ("Two goggies!"), knows that the "I Love Mommy" frame we have in the office has two M's together in the word Mommy, ("Two Ms, two Ms!"), two of just about everything. If a character in a book appears twice in the same two-page spread, he will observe, "Two Sams" or whoever the character is. I guess it IS hard for a toddler to understand that the second appearance of the same character on the same page doesn't mean it's...a second character.
Anyway, yesterday afternoon, he and I (Amy) were laying on the couch together (this pregnant mommy gets tired very easily!) and after a few quiet moments he pointed up to the ceiling.
"Gog." He states matter of factly.
"Yes, God is up in heaven, isn't He, Matthew." I reply.
"Gee-sus."
"Yes, Jesus, God's Son, is up in heaven, too."
[pause]
"TWO Gee-sus!!!"
[pause from Mommy]
"Well, God the Father is up there, and so is His Son Jesus." I start in.
Then we took a few minutes to go thru the story of how Jesus came to earth...was born in a stable...the angels announced His birth to the shepherds and said, "Glory to God in the highest!"...then Jesus grew up and died for our sins...then He rose again and went back up into heaven and is preparing a place for those who confess their sins and believe on Him.
"Mommy?" Matthew asks.
"Yes, Mommy is going to heaven."
"Daddy?"
"Yes, Daddy is going to heaven, too."
"Me?"
"Matthew, we pray every day that you will come to know Jesus as your Savior at an early age so you can enjoy heaven with us."
Then is was back to Lego's.
This is one of our first spiritual conversations, although we read books about the Lord all the time, and Dan tells me that the two of them often have deep conversations when they lay under 'big tent' (our bed) together. I will enjoy every future conversation together that we can get.
2 comments:
What a precious interaction you two shared! Thank you for sharing it with us!
Good to catch up on you guys...did not know you were expecting! Congratulations! :-)
Kari
Post a Comment