August 8, 2009

Baby Claire has arrived!


Claire Rose Hickman is here in our arms, a true blessing from the Lord. I always knew I was going to have to shift gears a little when a little girl entered our lives, and I find it rather funny that she didn't waste any time by making a 'grand entrance' into the world, in true diva fashion.

Within an hour of the clock hitting her due date, she woke me up at 1:15am on Thursday with a hard contraction. I couldn't sleep, so I got up and called my sister (one of the only advantages to the 8-hour time difference between her and I - calls in the night are okay!). She encouraged me to see if I could go back to sleep and rest between the contractions, so a few hours later I was able to get to sleep and I feel asleep between most of the contractions (8 to 10 minutes a part) for about 3 hours. At around 6am, I decided to get up and take a shower so I would be ready for when we decided to go to the hospital. Well, then the contractions came much faster. I had at least 3 in the shower (and I didn't linger in there), I had to stop 3 times while I was drying my hair to brace myself for some more. By 7am, I told Dan we needed to go to the hospital NOW. He was still pretty relaxed about the whole thing, and thought it was fine to make himself some bacon and eggs (which will forever be a humorous part of Claire's birth story), and announced his decision to me that he 'probably wouldn't be going into work this morning.' No kidding, I thought, as yet another strong contraction hit, just a few minutes after the last one.

Here's me, with a fake smile, right before we left. I wanted one last picture at full term!

Grandpa Hickman came and picked up Matthew, and Dan and I headed into Hillsboro to Tuality Hospital. On the way, I had the sensation of needing to push but I tried to ignore it. Dan was a little surprised when I asked to be wheeled into the hospital, but he complied and we stopped 3 times for more contractions between the parking lot and the Birthing Center on the second floor.

We arrived at the nurses station in the birthing center at 8am. They wheeled me into an exam room where they normally do a quick check of things before taking you down to your room.

They had me lay down, and I got on my side since my back has always been so painful to lay on my back. The nurse said I was fully dilated and asked if I would get back in the wheelchair so they could take me to my room.

But Claire wasn't waiting. I REALLY wanted to push by this time, so I voiced my intentions. A nurse yelled, "Somebody call Dr. Booth please!", but I was in no mood to wait. Still laying on my side, about four pushes later, there she was!! My doctor hasn't even gotten there yet (although she made record time and arrived a few minutes later), so it was four sweet nurses who did the task. Well, I guess I had a little part in it, too.

She was perfect and beautiful!


She weighed in at 8lbs, 3 oz. and is 18.5 inches long.

Here she is getting her first little bath.

Precious feet.



Matthew meeting his little sister:

First family photo!

Matthew loves his new little sister!

Dan's parents meeting Claire Rose:

Aunt Jamie, who was supposed to be my labor coach, but didn't exactly make it before the birth. She was there within minutes though!

My parents:

Aunt Linda:

Matthew back for a second visit:

Here is our nurse, Jeri, who ended up delivering Claire, and who was our nurse the whole time. She was wonderful!

We are so blessed to have our little girl!

Here we are leaving the hospital on Friday, which was our 10th anniversary! We have a picture in this exact spot, when we brought Matthew home 3 years and 3 months ago.

Now we are home, and enjoying lots of snuggling together. We couldn't be any happier!

6 comments:

Ben and Kristi Graves said...

i can't believe it happened so fast after you got there! you all look great and i'm so happy you have a little girl to love on! :) what a beautiful family!!!

DottieV said...

Wow! What a tremendous birth story - it doesn't get any better than that!! Baby Claire is absolultely beautiful and I especially loved all the family pictures... I wonder, is that the first time that nurse has ever DELIVERED a baby? haha Congratulations to all of you, and Amy, you are positively glowing! Yes, God is faithful and good, and He has blessed you indeed. <3 Dottie Vahcic

Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

An absolutely wonderful miracle Amy!!
So happy for you, baby Claire and of course Dan and Matthew!!

Jamie said...

Wow! I'm tearing up! So beautiful, the story and your little girl! Thanks for sharing your birth story!

Jaimey said...

Congrats!! She is beautiful! I hope and pray that my labor and delivery with this one is that quick! :)

Cass said...

Congratulations Dan and Amy! So glad to hear that Claire's arrived safely and that Matthew has taken on his Big Brother role quite seamlessly. Keep the photos coming!