I am now a blessed mama of three children, but I cherish moments of individual time with each of my children. Tonight after dinner, just Matthew and I went to the store to pick out a birthday gift for one of his little friends. I love spending individual time with my sweet, thoughtful and pleasant first-born. Matthew picked out part of the birthday gift that he planned to buy with his own money: a Hotwheels car, one of their shared interests. We continued through the store together, stopping about every five feet for Matthew to marvel over anything and everything (a Star Wars game, dog toys that he thought were for kids, a postcard of a map of Oregon...).
When we got to the produce section, Matthew spotted the store's floral section. He paused to look, then came up to me and said, "Mommy, could you buy the Hotwheels car instead so I can buy you a flower? They are $1.99." I looked over, and sure enough, there were single roses, wrapped in cellophane for $1.99. Of course, my heart melted. What a sweet little boy! While I would have been honored to have brought home a rose from my son, a two-dollar rose seemed pretty steep (plus, he had only brought $1.25 to the store). So I talked him into picking a flower from our yard for me tomorrow instead. Just like he had done for me last week.
Years ago, when I was pregnant with Matthew, a friend, who has sons, told me that boys share a special bond with their mommies. I have found that to be true so far. I love all my kids as much as I possibly could, but it is so special to enjoy the special one-on-one moments with each of them. In this case tonight, it was in the grocery store with my first-born son.
Now, to go wake the littlest one for a late-night feeding and cuddle...

No comments:
Post a Comment