September 8, 2016

Claire Starts Second Grade!

Claire started second grade today.  My sister just left from a week-long visit yesterday and Claire was begging me all day yesterday to start yesterday even though I wasn't ready yet.  (We didn't start yesterday.)  I take that as a good sign that she is eager to learn!  

Before Matthew headed off to school:

Benji couldn't be left out of the picture!

Calendar time:

Fresh beginnings are invigorating and I'm looking forward to hopefully keeping some good (better) structure that I am setting up for her this year that we haven't had in past years.  For starters, we are doing things a bit differently and starting almost as soon as Matthew is out the door to his school (5th grade at Forest Hills Lutheran Christian School...I'll have to make a separate blogpost about that!). In past years we wouldn't start till more like 10:30am.  Now I have to get my ducks in a line and be showered and ready to start with her at 8:30am, but now we can get everything done before lunch and I don't have to have it hanging over me all afternoon.  It's a really good feeling!

I decided to give her a binder this year and made a check-off list where she can put a sticker down each time she finishes a subject each day - including piano which is now going to be done right after breakfast. I think this will motivate her - and me! - to make sure each thing is getting done each day.

Here are the little renegades/peanut gallery who I try to keep happy and keep from distracting Claire at the same time.  It's so easy! [insert sarcasm here] We decided to order Claire her own school desk and it is supposed to arrive in a few days.  That way these two goofballs can have this table all to themselves. (Of course, they WOULD be perfectly happy playing in the huge room behind them if we weren't at the table, but when Claire and I are in the room, they can't seem to stay away from us.)

Yes, she is as mischievous as she looks!

Science time! Benji wanted to sit and read the whole book about horses with us.  Later we watched YouTube videos of horse racing, a horse birth (!!) and wild horses.

After Claire read to me and I read to her and Benji, they both couldn't put the books down and asked to read more.  Sonlight Curriculum book choices are almost always hard to put down for kids and adults alike! (Benji is looking at a Sonlight book: "My Father's Dragon.")


Today went great!  One day down...179ish to go! I'm thankful for the opportunity to be home with my  kids and be a teacher to one of them.  These are precious moments that will be over all too fast!
  

No comments: