November 15, 2008

Our very first PREP4Kids Fundraising Dinner

As many of you know, I work part-time for a ministry here in the Portland area called PREP4Kids (www.Prep4Kids.org). PREP stands for Public Released-time Education Program. Oregon law allows public school kids to be released for about one hour a week from their regular school day, to go to a nearby church or building to be taught the Bible. It is such an amazing opportunity to reach public school kids and share with them the Good News of the Gospel right during their school day! We are currently in about 25-30 schools all over the Portland area. I am the Curriculum Director which means I provide the curriculum, take-home activity sheets, memory verses, music and more to all of our volunteer teachers. I do most of my work from home and work on average for about 10 hours a month. It is a perfect little side job and I love investing in the our future generation. Statistics show that two-thirds of all Americans who accept Christ will do so before they turn 18. So ministry to children is so vital!
We are a non-profit ministry that receives its funds from individual donors, churches and the occasional grant. On October 25th, we held our first ever fund raising banquet. Our goal was to raise funds and to spread the awareness to people throughout the city about this little-known ministry that is a wide-open door for the Gospel.

The dinner was at the DoubleTree Inn in Portland. There were over 350 in attendance!




Here is Dan and me in front of the PREP display board (that I got to design). =)


Our good friends, Jason and Leya Wood


Left: our keynote speaker, Stephen Williams of Prepare the Way Ministries
Middle: my boss and good friend, Diane Sievers, the Executive Director of PREP
Right: our MC for the evening, Dennis Hayes, General Manager of Salem Communications (KPDQ FM, etc.)


The guy on the left was a former PREP student at Humboldt Elementary School in North Portland. He is now 28 and is still going on for the Lord!


Here is us again:


I know this event happened three weeks ago, but I only just now got these pictures sent to me. =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a wonderful PREP dinner. I would love to have been there. Thanks for sending the info and the pictures. PREP has a great opportunity there in Oregon to bring the Good News to children who are ripe for the Gospel and need Jesus. Keep on keeping on!

I like your display, Amy, and I heard you did a terrific job on the media presentation.

Love, Aunt Carol