Deuteronomy 6:6-7 say, "These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."
For several months now, Matthew has been fascinated with Bible stories. It's not something we have necessarily encouraged, but we sure aren't DIScouraging it! He asks to be read or told a Bible story at any and every given moment. Some of these moments include: every naptime and bedtime ("when you lie down"), riding in the car ("when you walk along the road"), while we are at the table eating ("when you sit at home"), while he is going potty! ("when you sit at home??"), and one time he sat himself down in the middle of a basketball court at the park and asked me to 'tell him Pharaoh.' The story of Moses and Pharaoh is his absolute favorite. It might have come from watching "The Prince of Egypt" which is a Hollywood animated adaption of the story of the Exodus. (We highly recommend it!) Matthew knows that story so backwards and forwards that he knows all the plagues in order and enjoys acting them all out with me. He also loves to act out the Battle of Jericho, David and Goliath, Samson, Gideon and Mary and Joseph (Claire makes a convenient Baby Jesus).
Matthew loves spending time with Claire (more on that another day). One day I found him in the kitchen telling Claire Bible stories. She was a very attentive listener. It's kind of hard to hear, but here is a short video of Matthew telling Claire about Daniel and the lion's den. Notice Claire's adoring look at her brother at the end of the video. =)
Here is Matthew acting out when Jacob spent the night outside, with a rock for his pillow. (This picture was taken post-Frank, so note the paci.)
In this picture, Matthew is King David, about to climb onto his throne.
Matthew current favorite song is "The Perfect Ten", a song that teaches the ten commandments. If you can't name the ten commandments by number, this is the song for you! Dan learned it as a child, and I learned it as an adult while working in PREP. I refer to it whenever I am trying to remember which commandment goes with which number. It is very catchy and Matthew sings it constantly. If you click on the link, you can listen to the whole song one time for free. The beginning part is kind of slow and boring...but you will be able to tell when it picks up and the fun begins.
A few funny moments from Mr. Matthew before I sign off...I took him to Taco Bell awhile back. He had never been there before. When we pulled in he said, "Is this Taco Bells?"
"Yes, Taco Bell," I answered.
Matthew: "OH!!!! I know who Taco Bell is. King Ahab married that girl." =)
Today, Matthew wanted to know about heaven. So I was reading to him from Revelation 21 and 22. I was explaining how God is going to be all the light there will be in heaven and that we won't have any lamps because God will be SO bright.
"Wow." He said. "I better bring my sunglasses."
Matthew is such a joy to us, and it brings us even more joy to see him so excited about the things of the Lord. Our prayer every day is that if he hasn't yet already, he will come to know Jesus as His Savior at an early age and go on to love Him, follow Him and serve Him with his whole heart all the days of his life. May Matthew always find joy in the Lord!
No comments:
Post a Comment