April 5, 2011

Another new dinner favorite: Million Dollar Salad

This is my second and last recipe post for awhile.  I will get back to family pictures soon. =)  But since Dan raves about this salad, I thought I would share it.  It is from a church cookbook I have from Southwest Bible Church, submitted by Amy Roe.  The recipe name is very descriptive.  I think Dan and I agree that it's the best salad we've ever had!

Million Dollar Salad (Cobb Salad)

(serves 6 as salad; 4 as a meal)

Salad
1 large head of romaine lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, finally chopped
2 cooked chicken breasts, diced
6 strips bacon, crisply fried and crumbled**
1 avocado, diced
3 hard cooked eggs, chopped
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (we use gorgonzola-mmm!)

Dressing (makes more than you will probably need)
1 and 1/3 cups vegetable oil (we use EVOO)
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 t. sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. Dijon mustard
1 t. Worcestershire sauce (doesn't every recipe need a little of this?! Mmm...)
1 t. paprika

Directions: Arrange lettuce greens in a salad bowl.  Scatter tomatoes, chicken, bacon and avocado over the greens.  Garnish top with the eggs, green onions, and cheese.  For dressing: combine dressing ingredients and refrigerate for several hours.  Serve dressing on the side, or toss with salad just before serving.

**You can now buy real bacon bits in little pouches in the salad dressing aisle (right next to the imitation bacon bits).  Winco doesn't have them though, FYI.  They are an quick and easy way to add some pizazz to your salad each night.  We love them!

I found this picture on Google, so it's not from this exact recipe, but close enough to get you inspired!

No comments: