Dear Matthew,
Today we celebrate the day you were born: five years ago today. Daddy and I will never forget the overwhelming joy of seeing you and holding you for the first time. It was a moment like no other. We had a son to hold and love! Some days it's hard to believe that was only five years ago, but at the same time, it's hard to remember what life was like before Matthew. What did we do for laughs? Who would we snuggle and read to? Who did we go to the park with? Who did we learn about planets with? What did we do at night on the way to bed with no door to softly open and no little blond boy to sneak up to and kiss while he lays in blissful slumber? What would make our hearts swell up with love and pride? I honestly didn't understand the meaning of a 'heart swelling' or 'bursting with pride' until I became a mommy.
As you have grown, Daddy and I are becoming more and more aware of the uniqueness of your inquisitive spirit and your love for learning new things. You are so fun to teach things to, whether it's about Jupiter, wild animals, Star Wars (okay, I'll admit, that one's a stretch for me) or about the God who made and loves you. Your thirst for God's Word and Truth is somewhat of an unexpected treat. Watching you sit by yourself with your Bible story books, silently turning the pages and absorbing what you see brings joy to your Mommy and Daddy's heart. Hearing you ask questions like, "Mommy, when I grow up, how will I find a girl who loves God?" makes my heart soar. As I write this, you are in the living room playing with your new dinosaurs, and your Daddy Dinosaur is sharing the Gospel with his son. And what would lunch-time be without our daily listening of "The Bible in Living Sound"? You make fulfilling Deuteronomy 6 pretty easy! :)
Even at your young age, you are an example to your Mommy. Your tender conscience and honesty is pleasantly surprising and convicting. Your gentleness and devotion to Claire warms my heart. And you clear your place at the table about five times as often and your Daddy and I do. Where you learned discipline like that is beyond us!
Most parents who love the Lord dream of the day when they can lead their child to Christ. But Daddy and I actually can't pinpoint an exact moment when you placed your faith in Jesus. We faithfully shared with you over and over about how your sin keeps you from knowing God, but how Jesus came to take the penalty for YOUR sin when He died on the cross. It took a little while, but we eventually came to the realization that you really did truly understand this, and when you would say, "I believe that, Mommy and Daddy, I've put my faith in Jesus" we knew that you really had. Now, we love helping you grow in your love and understanding for your Creator and Savior. Our desire for you continues to be that you would love, serve and follow the Lord your God with all your heart, all the days of your life.
Matthew, your love for life and for the Lord make OUR life a true joy! We look forward to the next five years with you. Well - hopefully many more! If your offer that you will live with Mommy and Daddy for the rest of your life still stands - at this point - we will still take you up on it.
Lots of love,
Mommy
2 comments:
Awww Happy Birthday Matthew!!
That is beautiful, Amy. You're absolutely right: our little boy could not bring more joy to us. We pray that the seed planted in him grows and bears fruit that will last.
Post a Comment