November 8, 2011

A Trip Back in Time

A few weeks ago, I had the privilege of hopping on a plane all by myself and flying to the best city in America (in my opinion) - Chicago.  My dad is from the Chicago area, I was born there (although lived there for only the first few months of my life), and we visited my grandparents and aunt there many times as I grew up.  I love the beauty of the city, all the fun things to do, and the spirit Chicagoans have for their city.  Pictures of my time in the city are at the bottom of this post, beCAUSE...the reason I ACTUALLY flew there was to meet my aunt and drive three hours west to Dubuque, Iowa where I spent three of the best years of my life attending Emmaus Bible College.  The college was having an alumni reunion, celebrating 70 years since its founding.  My aunt is an alumni too (as are my dad, my sister and my husband!) and she graciously supported me and helped make it possible for me to go.
I hadn't been back since Dan and I graduated in 2000.  It was so special to see our much-loved professors, walk the halls that are filled with so many wonderful and fun memories, sit in on a class and in chapel sessions to hear great teaching from said much-loved professors, worship in song with alumni spanning five generations and catch up with some old classmates.  Emmaus shaped me for life in so many good ways.  It gave me a solid foundation of biblical knowledge, interpretation and worldview that I can carry with me for the rest of my life.  I would go back and just do it all again if I had the chance! 
I forgot to really take pictures with people, but here are a few from our weekend:
Emmaus Bible College
Back after eleven years!

 
The Dining Hall

Me with Jonathan Marquez and Philip and Tali Gardner

Dr. Dave, giving an address in chapel on Friday morning.  I love the inscription on the back wall.
Me, Mrs. Reid and Dr. Dave Reid
This is the apartment that Dan and I lived in our last year at Emmaus, which was our first year married.  We have such fond memories of this place!
One of my favorite things was singing in the alumni choir on Saturday night.  We sang three songs including the classic "Soon and Very Soon."  You can't help but smile and sway while singing that!
The Coffee Shop, which has received quite an upgrade since I was a student there.
Fall beauty, driving through the picturesque Galena on the way back to Chicago.
Now a few pictures of Chicago.  My aunt graciously drove me through Bears game traffic for a night on the town.  All in all it was a wonderful weekend and I'm so glad I got to go!




No comments: