May 8, 2013

Happy Birthday, Matthew (Reflecting on the Journey of Motherhood)

Seven years ago today, this little guy made me a mama.

I had no idea what I was in for.  I didn't know what sleep deprivation was, what losing my patience looked like, how appealing a once-a-month date night could be, or what needing something at the store and not being able to get it was like.  Before becoming a parent, you pretty much have the freedom to do what you want, when you want.  When you become a mother, life is now about giving up your own needs and wants for the good of someone else.  At ANY time of the day or night.  (That night part was kind of a rude awakening for me.)  I believe there is not much of a better way to learn selflessness than by becoming a mother. 

I also had no idea what joy I was about to experience.  From the moment we saw and held our firstborn son, Matthew has been a steady stream of joy in our lives.  If it wasn't for Matthew, I wouldn't know nearly as much about cuddling, picnics in the living room or what a track hoe is.  I wouldn't be able to identify Darth Vader, a giant squid, all the planets in order, or spot a Ford Mustang from half a mile away.  I wouldn't know the feeling of a heart swelling and brimming over with love and pride when I tiptoe into his room late at night and watch him sleep or when I hear him singing a worship song.  Matthew's name means "Gift of God" and that is exactly what he is.  We couldn't be more thankful for him, his inquisitive nature, and his tender and loving heart for the Lord and for others.  Our desire continues to be that he grows to love, follow and serve the Lord with his whole heart, all the days of his life.  That would bring us (and him!) no greater joy!







No comments: