![]() |
| Peggy and Thad Hickman, Christmas Eve 2010 |
On Christmas Eve, as Dan and I were wrapping presents late into the night, a sweet Christmas song came on that made us drop what we were doing and listen intently as tears filled our eyes. This song reminded us so much of his Grandma Hickman, who went to be home with Jesus three months ago, on September 26th. I will include the lyrics and link to the song at the end of this post, but first I wanted to take the time to share a little bit about Grandma Hickman and what she meant to me. I had intended to write these thoughts down right after she died...then was going to share it at her memorial service last month, but the opportunity didn't present itself, so here I am...a few days after Christmas, thinking about this special lady who just spent her first Christmas in heaven.
Peggy Hickman lived a full life, raising five boys, in many places around the country. I think I first met her when Dan and I drove to see his grandparents in Houston over Spring Break in 1998. It was when they moved here to Oregon in 2009 that our relationship really began to blossom. It was a true privilege to know her!
There are three things that stick out in my mind when I think of Grandma Peggy.
![]() |
| The Hickman family, circa 1960 |
First, is the joy that she always exhibited, even through difficult circumstances.
Grandma had challenging circumstances throughout her life, yet she always kept her trust in the Lord and had a twinkle in her eye to go with it. She raised five boys, often on her own, as her husband traveled a lot. I remember her telling me once that her friends often felt bad for her that she had five boys and no girls. But she would answer them, "I have more fun than any of the other moms on the block!" All the kids in the neighborhood loved coming over to her house after school to play and eat freshly baked bread.
And her memory was amazing. She loved talking about her family and remembered amazing details about each of her son's births. She could tell you almost to the minute the time she went into labor with each of her boys, how much they each weighed, and all these other details that I can barely remember about my own four kids who were all born in the last ten years!
Grandma had challenging circumstances throughout her life, yet she always kept her trust in the Lord and had a twinkle in her eye to go with it. She raised five boys, often on her own, as her husband traveled a lot. I remember her telling me once that her friends often felt bad for her that she had five boys and no girls. But she would answer them, "I have more fun than any of the other moms on the block!" All the kids in the neighborhood loved coming over to her house after school to play and eat freshly baked bread.
And her memory was amazing. She loved talking about her family and remembered amazing details about each of her son's births. She could tell you almost to the minute the time she went into labor with each of her boys, how much they each weighed, and all these other details that I can barely remember about my own four kids who were all born in the last ten years!
![]() |
| Visiting Grandma in the hospital, August 2015 |
The second thing I appreciate about Grandma Peggy, is that she always made everyone feel like they were her best friend. When you enter the room, she stops everything and puts all her focus on you, wanting to know all the latest about you. She was one of those people that, when she asks you how you are doing, she isn't just asking to be polite, hoping to get a three-word answer. She truly wants to know how you are doing. The second to last time I ever saw her [above], she was in the hospital and obviously not doing well. Dan and I went in to go visit her, and we could barely get in a word edgewise to ask her how she was doing because we spent the whole time talking about our family! This is a special trait that I know she passed down to her son, my father-in-law, and that I would love to also emulate in my life.
![]() |
| In Sun River, Summer 2014 |
The last thing that I want to share about what I appreciate about Grandma Peggy is how she welcomed me into the family like one of her own. All of my own grandparents, who all went to heaven in my teens and early 20's, had all always lived in the Midwest. I only got to see them maybe once a year. So when Peggy moved to Hillsboro six years ago, it was the first time I had a grandparent live in the same town as me. She always introduced me to people as her granddaughter. I know I can never take the place of her actual granddaughters, but over the years, it truly almost felt like she really was my grandma in the end.
![]() |
| Shopping for flowers together, Spring 2013 |
When she lived in Hillsboro, we shared lots of special visits where she got to spend time with my kids. She adored them. They are so blessed that they got to know one of their great-grandparents. (And Pa too, for awhile!) When they grow up, they may not remember the times they had with her, but we will be sure to talk often of GG (Great-Grandma) and what a special lady she was.
![]() |
| Our Claire Rose with her namesake, Grandma Peggy Rose |
![]() |
| Grandma with Benji as a baby. She was almost in heaven getting to hold her little ones! |
![]() |
| Grandma and Claire at the 4th of July Parade 2013 |
![]() |
Grandma and Eliana, November 2014![]() |
Dan and Grandma, Summer 2012, after Grandpa's memorial service
![]() |
| Grandma, with her son, grandson, and four great-grandkids - November 2014 |
This is a special moment between Claire and GG, during one of her last hospital stays before she died.
The night she went home to be with Jesus in September, I was at a women's retreat on the Oregon coast. As the sun was setting that evening over the ocean, we were all singing the song, "10,000 Reasons." I could barely get through the third verse, knowing this was her first sunset in heaven:
And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing your praise unending
10,000 years and then forevermore
She has finally entered her rest and is face to face with Jesus. I miss her so much but look forward to seeing her again someday soon.
And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing your praise unending
10,000 years and then forevermore
She has finally entered her rest and is face to face with Jesus. I miss her so much but look forward to seeing her again someday soon.
* * * * * *
So here is the song that I mentioned at the beginning of this post. The back story isn't exactly like her, since Grandpa went to be with the Lord first, but it really is so similar. The Hickman family is now without the belle of the ball. Heaven has gained her!
Home For Christmas
Her house was where the family gathered every Christmas eve;
A feast was set on the table and gifts were placed beneath the tree.
Everything was picture perfect, Grandpa would laugh and say,
That woman spends the whole year getting ready for this day.
One year the leaves began to fall and her health began to fade;
We moved her to a place where they could watch her night and day.
But she kept making plans for Christmas from her little room;
She told everyone, I'll miss you but I'll be leaving soon.
I'm going home for Christmas and I'm going home to stay;
I'm going home for Christmas and nothing's gonna keep me away.
I'll be with the ones I love to celebrate the Savior's birth;
This gift will be worth more to me than anything on earth.
I'm going home, home for Christmas.
All the leaves outside have fallen to be covered by the snow;
The family comes with food and gifts and Grandpa comes alone.
There's a sadness in our silence as the Christmas story's read,
And with tears, Grandpa reminds us of the words that Grandma said.
I'm going home for Christmas and I'm going home to stay;
I'm going home for Christmas and nothing's gonna keep me away.
She'll be face to face with Jesus as we celebrate His birth,
And this gift will be worth more to her than anything on earth,
'Cause she'll be home.
And as we sing 'Joy to the World' I can't help thinking
Of the joy that's in her eyes right now.
And though our hearts still ache, we know that as we celebrate,
She's singing with the herald angels and heaven's glowing on her face.
And now she's home for Christmas and now she's home to stay;
She's home for Christmas, and nothin' could've kept her away.
She'll be face to face with Jesus, as we celebrate His birth,
And this gift will be worth more to her than anything on earth.
She's home, she's home for Christmas.
She is home, she's home for Christmas.
A feast was set on the table and gifts were placed beneath the tree.
Everything was picture perfect, Grandpa would laugh and say,
That woman spends the whole year getting ready for this day.
One year the leaves began to fall and her health began to fade;
We moved her to a place where they could watch her night and day.
But she kept making plans for Christmas from her little room;
She told everyone, I'll miss you but I'll be leaving soon.
I'm going home for Christmas and I'm going home to stay;
I'm going home for Christmas and nothing's gonna keep me away.
I'll be with the ones I love to celebrate the Savior's birth;
This gift will be worth more to me than anything on earth.
I'm going home, home for Christmas.
All the leaves outside have fallen to be covered by the snow;
The family comes with food and gifts and Grandpa comes alone.
There's a sadness in our silence as the Christmas story's read,
And with tears, Grandpa reminds us of the words that Grandma said.
I'm going home for Christmas and I'm going home to stay;
I'm going home for Christmas and nothing's gonna keep me away.
She'll be face to face with Jesus as we celebrate His birth,
And this gift will be worth more to her than anything on earth,
'Cause she'll be home.
And as we sing 'Joy to the World' I can't help thinking
Of the joy that's in her eyes right now.
And though our hearts still ache, we know that as we celebrate,
She's singing with the herald angels and heaven's glowing on her face.
And now she's home for Christmas and now she's home to stay;
She's home for Christmas, and nothin' could've kept her away.
She'll be face to face with Jesus, as we celebrate His birth,
And this gift will be worth more to her than anything on earth.
She's home, she's home for Christmas.
She is home, she's home for Christmas.












2 comments:
So sweet. I love that song, its so beautiful!
What a wonderful tribute to Peggy. She was such a special lady which you captured so beautifully.
Post a Comment