December 29, 2008

Trusting Mommy and Daddy

About every other Sunday after church our family goes by Matthew's favorite fine-dining establishment (McDonald's, pronounced "Gong!!!" by Matthew) for a quick lunch on the way home to nap.

Yesterday, as soon as we got in the car, Matthew started saying, "Gong? Gong? Gong?".

"Mommy and I are going to talk about it first, okay, son?"

"Gong? [pause] Gong?"

I said, "Matthew, we know you want to go to McDonald's, so I don't want you to ask any more right now, okay?"

"Yes, Daddy."

"You know that Mommy and Daddy love you, don't you?"

"Yeah"

"And Mommy and Daddy want what's best for you. We want to give you good things, right?"

Matthew replied in an excited voice, knowing what is best for him, "GONG????!!!!!"

Priceless.

I love these little conversations we have with our precious boy. We're trying to teach him to trust us because we love him. He's learning. But it's a joy to hear what is on the heart of our little boy wonder as we teach him things like trusting Mommy and Daddy, the fruits of the Spirit, and the charge I give him every day that his number one priority should be to "Listen and obey". He's a real joy to his Daddy's heart, and Mommy's too :-)

No comments: