Just over a year ago, we decided to try and see if we could conjur up a little brother or sister for Matthew. Just two months later, soon after New Years, we eagerly sat on the edge of the bed, prayed, and saw two little lines appear on the test. We were overjoyed! It was so easy! But just two days later, I started bleeding and a few hours later we learned the devastating news that this baby has stayed in my fallopian tube and we that would never get to hold this little one, this side of heaven. It was a painful week, but probably even more painful were the many months after this that didn’t bring more exciting news like we had expected. It was during these months that we learned several things. We were first overwhelmed with the peaceful assurance that God is sovereign and that God is good. We don’t always understand His ways or His timing. But we know that He ultimately knows what is best for us and that His timing is the best. He allows things to happen to us – even painful things – that can ultimately be for our good. It was during these months that we clung to the Lord as our refuge and re-learned His attributes of mercy, faithfulness and compassion. It might sound sort of funny to say that we learned mercy and compassion at a time when we felt like we were being withheld from something precious. But it is really what we felt. Our love for the Lord has grown so much sweeter that I know I wouldn’t trade the year-long wait for anything! (Eph. 3:20) I have also learned to have a heart for mothers who have gone thru similar things or who are trying to get pregnant and can’t. I am thankful that I can empathize with people in a way I never could, nor even really noticed, before.
So this Thanksgiving morning, Dan and I sit on the edge of the bed and this time decide to let Matthew tell us if there are two lines.
“How many lines do you see, Matthew?”
“Two yines. Two yines.”

We grab the stick, and sure enough, there are two solid lines staring back at us! Two lines have never looked sweeter. Words cannot describe how happy we were and how happy we ARE! We waited for two weeks, then called my doctor who got us in for an ultrasound this past Friday. We were able to see that this baby is indeed in my uterus and we even saw his or her heartbeat!! Lord willing, we will get to meet him or her on or around August 1, 2009.
We are so thankful to the Lord for this undeserved gift. Everything that God chooses to give us, we don’t deserve. We are thankful for His graciousness and pray that this baby will be able to grow to full-term so we might have the privilege to raise him or her to love the Lord with his whole heart, soul and mind.
Thank you for those that have been faithfully praying for us over these months. We appreciate you.
"Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the highest heavens.
You have done such wonderful things.
Who can compare with you, O God?
You have allowed me to suffer much hardship,
but you will restore me to life again
and lift me up from the depths of the earth.
You will restore me to even greater honor
and comfort me once again.
Then I will praise you with music on the harp,
because you are faithful to your promises, O my God."
Psalm 71:19-22
9 comments:
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!!!!!!
Soooo excited to be the first one here...for once staying up late pays off!
August 1 is a great day to have a baby, just ask Brady :) He'll be turning one that day.
I love the way you shared the story, and you will probably never forget "Two Yines"...so cute.
Awww, how sweet! I had forgotten that is Brady's birthday! That would be fun, although I am just settling in to expect to go till at least the fifth. We'll see!
wow Amy! I have tears in my eyes! I'm so, so, so happy for all of you!
I'm so happy for you guys! We'll definitely continue to keep you in our prayers.
I'm so happy for you! We struggled with infertility for 2 years and it was, without a doubt, the most difficult time in my life. But the Lord used the heartache to teach us great things about Himself, just as He has for you. And I think we treasure our children more because we never take them for granted.
I'll be praying for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
Had to say congratulations here too! And after the comment above I can't help but say.... maybe it's twins!!!! (or would they have known by now?)
There was only one sac in the uterus...sooooo...I think that means one??
Oh I am so thrilled for you three!! How exciting and in August too! What could be cooler!!
oh amy, i just read this news on ebcalum and so rushed over here for a proper read ... so happy for you Three .... you Four now! can't wait to keep up with your family and this new wee one, now that i've discovered your blog!
merry christmas!
Post a Comment