August 18, 2010

This REALLY happened, Mommy


Sometimes you just gotta burst out laughing as a mommy. I had some random objects laying on my bed today because I am cleaning out our room. Matthew wanders into the dining room just now, holding two green wooden balls he found on the bed. (This is rather timely for my little boy who is currently very fascinated with the solar system.) Then the following conversation happened.

"MOMMY," says Matthew, his eyes as big as saucers. "Did you KNOW. That. Bullets shot out of the sun [gesturing with the larger ball] and FELL down on the earth and they hit some trees and the trees turned into fire. This REALLY happened, Mommy."

I reply, "Oh really? Well, Matthew, it's okay to tell stories, but when you know you are just pretending, you shouldn't say 'this really happened.' (He has been doing this a lot lately.)

Matthew answers with a dead serious look, "No, this really happened, Mommy."

"Matthew," I say. "Bullets don't come out of the sun."

"Well, it was really...bombs that shot out of the sun."

"Matthew, bombs don't come out of the sun, either."

Matthew's final attempt: "Well, then...bathtubs fell out of the sun."

Okay, how can you not keep a straight face after THAT? I didn't. =)

No comments: