June 10, 2010

Jumbo


Ever wondered where the name of your 'jumbo-sized' bag of popcorn came from? Matthew and I just finished a new book from the library called "Jumbo." It is a true story about a massive elephant in London who was brought to Barnum's circus in New York City in 1882. He was (at least at the time) the largest animal in captivity in the whole world. He was named 'Jumbo' because officials at England's Royal Zooligical Gardens thought it sounded African. He stirred a craze in England and manufacturers started using his picture on their products. The word 'jumbo' soon became synonymous with giant-sized. Cool, huh? The book was a very interesting read!
As I laid Matthew down for his nap after we read it, he said he had a song about 'effowents' (elephants) he wanted to sing.
I just had to share:
God made everythiiiiing
Like chickens and roosters
And foxes and foxes and foxes and foxes
God made effowents
God made tigers
And chicks and crocodiles
God made farmers
And tractors
And the people who made tractors



A regular Fanny Crosby, wouldn't you say? =)

No comments: